Home World Trump moves to cut $5 billion in foreign aid to circumvent Congress

Trump moves to cut $5 billion in foreign aid to circumvent Congress

8
0

The Trump administration has proposed to cut $5 billion (£3.7 billion) in foreign aid, which has been allocated by Congress earlier this year.

The president is using an arcane maneuver known as a baggage revocation, or requesting the return of approved funds so late in the fiscal year that the allocated currency will fail if Congress does not put pressure on it.

The move aims to cut billions of dollars in plans, including funding for peacekeeping operations abroad, has not been tried in nearly 50 years.

Budget strategy can face legal challenges as it effectively bypasses the legislative sector’s direct reduction of spending.

The decision was announced by the White House Office of Management and Budget Friday Social Media Posts.

Cuts, including about $300 million in U.S. Agency for International Development and $900 million in State Department funds.

About $800 million is allocated for international peacekeeping operations, and more than $300 million is also encouraged democratic values ​​in other countries.

“The Trump administration is committed to obtaining the U.S. Treasury House by cutting awakened, weapons and wasted government spending,” the White House said in a statement.

Trump is passing the Water Storage Control Act to use a pocket ruling, which gives the president the power to cancel funds approved by Congress. Congress can then vote to cut funds or retain funds within 45 days, but that money could disappear by asking it to be so close to the end of the fiscal year on September 30.

Some experts question the legitimacy of pocket recession, including Government Accountability Office, This argues that budget tools bypass the power of Congress’ wallet.

Sen. Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, said the constitution “clearly demonstrates Congress’s power to be responsible for the wallet” without any effort approved by Congress to withdraw funds, which is clearly a clear violation of the law.

“It is not so much a attempt to undermine the law, it is a way to determine how to reduce excessive spending through a bipartisan annual appropriation process,” Collins said in a statement. “Congress regularly approves the cancellation of part of the process.”

New York’s Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said Trump’s use of a pocket recession could undermine normal congressional processes and cause a “painful and totally unnecessary shutdown” of the administration.

Former President Jimmy Carter was the last president to use his pocket recession in 1977.

Since he returned to the office, Trump has cut foreign aid, mainly shutting down the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the main foreign aid agency because he found that its spending was “wasteful.”

Source link