Home Politics Trump takes billions of dollars in foreign aid in Collins

Trump takes billions of dollars in foreign aid in Collins

8
0

NewYou can listen to Fox News articles now!

Legislators on both sides of the aisle cut the White House move, canceling billions of dollars in foreign aid funds and warned that it could have dire consequences for a quick deadline for funding to the government.

The White House informed Congress on Thursday that the administration intends to cancel $4.9 billion in foreign aid funds through “bag revocation.”

“Last night, President Trump canceled $4.9 billion in last foreign aid in the United States,” the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) said on X.[President Donald Trump] Always put the United States first! ”

‘Bail and Switch’: Schumer warns of bitter funding struggles to cut Republican plans

The White House informed Congress on Thursday that the administration intends to cancel $4.9 billion in foreign aid funds through “bag revocation.” (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc)

The pocket evacuation program obtained by Fox News digital includes cuts in various foreign aid programs over several fiscal years, which the administration believes is not commensurate with Trump’s agenda.

These include about $520 million in savings to international organization accounts, more than $390 million in savings to international peacekeeping activities accounts, $322 million in receiving $445 million in savings from the Democratic Fund, and more than $322 million in donations from peacekeeping operations accounts, and more than $322 million in donations from development aid.

The cancellation process allows the president to make a request to Congress to cancel already approved funds within 45 days. The lawmakers successfully completed the exercise earlier this year when they approved $9 billion in public broadcasting and foreign aid.

Trump signs $9B retirement plan, withdraws foreign aid funds, NPR

Susan Collins

Senator Susan Collins addressed the media at the Washington Transit Hotel on November 6, 2022 at the Washington Transit Transit, Pennsylvania. (Mark Makela/Getty Images)

But the bag-removed design was designed by a 45-day window skirt that was so close to the end of the fiscal year that lawmakers don’t have time to weigh. The White House The maneuver is already giving Senate Republicans and Democrats heartburn.

Senate Appropriations Chairman Susan Collins (R-Maine) said in a statement the move was “an obvious attempt to withdraw funds without Congress’ approval.”

She also argued that the Government Accountability Bureau found that under the Water Storage Control Act, the law governing the revocation, this method of pocket revocation is illegal.

“Any effort to withdraw funds without Congress’ approval is a clear violation of the law,” she said.

“It is not so much a attempt to undermine the law, it is a way to determine how to reduce excessive spending through a bipartisan annual funding process,” Collins continued. “Congress regularly approves part of the process to be cancelled.”

Fox News Digital commented on OMB and the White House, but did not hear it immediately.

Trump sends $9.4 billion in approximate cut proposals to Congress, targeting NPR, PBS

Schumer press conference

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (DN.Y. (AP Photo/J. ScottApplewhite)

Members will also have to work hard to deal with how the baggage revocation will affect negotiations to keep the government open. Senate Minority Leader Chuck SchumerDN.Y. has warned that further attempts to withdraw funds approved by Congress will be a bridge for the Democrats.

Before the announcement was announced, Schumer and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, dn.y. Sent a letter to the Speaker of the House Mike JohnsonR-La. and Senate Majority Leader John ThuneRs.D. , begging both to meet with them to discuss the imminent deadline of September 30.

In the letter, they specifically asked if more evacuations were coming.

Click here to get the Fox News app

Now, Schumer’s allegation of “illegal ‘pocket withdrawal’ package is a further proof that President Trump and the Republican president of Congress are confused about rejecting the two-party system and being “only alone” this fall.

“As the country gazed at the next month’s government funding deadline on September 30, it was clear that neither President Trump nor Congressional Republicans had plans to avoid painful and completely unnecessary closures,” Schumer said in a statement.

He continued: “In fact, Republicans seem eager to cause further pain to the American people, increase health care costs, damage essential services and further damage our national security.”

Source link