President Donald Trump has canceled Secret Service protections for Kamala Harris and Joe Biden extended it before leaving the office, according to one of her advisers.
As former Vice President, Ms. Harris has the right to obtain six months of security under the law, which will expire in July after leaving the office in January.
The instructions signed by her former boss were quietly extended for another year, according to a memo seen by the BBC.
The move comes before Harris embarked on a national book tour to promote “107 days,” a memoir of her brief and ultimately failed 2024 presidential election.
A copy of a letter seen on August 28 instructed the Secret Service to “stop the execution of any security-related procedures previously authorized by the Memorandum, beyond legal requirements required by law, beginning on September 1.
A senior White House official confirmed the move.
Sources familiar with the situation told the BBC’s U.S. news partner CBS that the recent threat assessment found nothing shocking to extend her details to six months of legal provisions she is entitled to.
In 2008, the U.S. Congress enacted a law that allowed the Secret Service to provide protection to the former vice president, their spouses and any children under the age of 16.
It’s been more than seven months since Harris left the office at the end of the Jjoe Biden administration in January.
Harris’ husband Doug Emhoff ended the deadline set by law on July 1.
Harris will lose the agency assigned to protect her and her property in Los Angeles and proactively conduct threat intelligence to identify and preempt any potential threats.
If privately funded, the price of similar protections could increase by millions of dollars a year.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass both expressed anger when they made the announcement.
“This is another act of revenge after the list of political revenge in the form of dismissal, revoking security permits, etc.” Ms. Bass told CNN.
The mayor of Los Angeles said this puts Harris in danger and she will make sure she is safe in Los Angeles.
Since returning to the White House in January, Trump has revoked Secret Service protections for many people, including Hunter and the former president’s children, and Anthony Fauci, a former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Several former Trump officials and allies have also revoked their protections, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and former national security adviser John Bolton, who have become vocal critics.
Harris faced several security threats while in the office, and the fact that she was the first person of color to serve in the office complicated the danger.
For example, in August 2024, a Virginia man was accused of online threatening to kill, kidnap or injure Harris and former President Barack Obama.
In an earlier incident in 2021, a 39-year-old Florida sent a video to her incarcerated husband and said she could make a “hit” within 50 days.
Trump faced two stimulus attempts in last year’s presidential election, during which the Secret Service played a key role.

Health & Wellness Contributor
A wellness enthusiast and certified nutrition advisor, Meera covers everything from healthy living tips to medical breakthroughs. Her articles aim to inform and inspire readers to live better every day.