17 Soldiers Dead In Attack At Army Base In Jammu And Kashmir’s Uri, 4 Terrorists Killed
URI: Seventeen soldiers were killed in a major terror attack at an army base in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri near the Line of Control on Sunday, the deadliest in recent years. All four terrorists were killed in the attack that India has directly blamed on Pakistan. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said: “I assure the nation that those behind this despicable attack will not go unpunished.”
Here are the top 10 updates in this big story:
1. The terrorists sneaked into the base, about 100 km from Srinagar, around 5:30 am, threw several grenades and fired indiscriminately, causing the most deaths the army has suffered in a single attack in years.
2. Most of the soldiers were burnt alive when their tents caught fire because of the grenades. The attack took place during a change of command, which means one unit was replacing another and soldiers were in temporary shelters.
3. Sources said camp could be observed from the hill tops across the border and initial investigations suggest the terrorists were aware that regiments were turning over.
4. The Director General of Military Operations, Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh, said the terrorists were foreigners and there are clear signs of the role of the terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed, whose chief Masood Azhar is based in Pakistan. The group had been involved in the attack on Pathankot air base in January during which 7 army-men were killed.
5. The terrorists had “items of Pakistani markings”, said Lt General Singh, adding that he had conveyed “serious concerns” to his Pakistani counterpart. Four AK 47 rifles, grenade launchers and a large number of grenades have been found in search ops.
6. Around 30 soldiers were injured in a three-hour gunbattle with the terrorists who are believed to have crossed a canal along the Line of Control, cut through the fencing and infiltrated into Kashmir.
7. “Pakistan is a terrorist state and it should be identified and isolated as such,” Home Minister Rajnath Singh said in tweets, adding that the attackers were “highly trained, heavily armed and specially equipped”.
8. Rajnath Singh postponed a visit to Russia and the US. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Army Chief Dalbir Singh are in Kashmir.
9. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said in a statement that the attack appeared to be aimed at creating a “war-like situation” in the region.
10. More than 80 people have been killed in Kashmir and around 10,000 civilians and security personnel have been injured in clashes since July 8, when terrorist Burhan Wani was killed.
Title: 17 Soldiers Dead In Attack At Army Base In Jammu And Kashmir’s Uri, 4 Terrorists Killed
Description: Seventeen soldiers were killed in a major terror attack at an army base in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri near the Line of Control on Sunday, the deadliest in recent years. All four terrorists were killed in the attack that India has directly blamed on Pakistan. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said: I assure the nation that those behind this despicable attack will not go unpunished.
Keywords: Uri Attack,Jammu and Kashmir,Terror Attack,Terrorist Attack,Baramulla,Army Base Attacked,Uri Base Attacked